|Scan or click to Vote |
"Durham's food scene is on par with the best in the nation. Chefs here have integrity, appreciation for the ingredients, the sourcing, the producers, the preparations, and the customers. In Durham, food is a culture that rises above most barriers, and all of Durham's diverse inhabitants come together over great food all the time," said Sam Poley with the Durham Convention & Visitors Bureau, Durham's official marketing agency. "Things like this are fun. Folks in Durham are really proud of this place and the things that make it great. We're hoping they, and the places they love, will work together so that everyone knows Durham is where great food happens."
Readers will decide the winner by casting votes for the “Tastiest Town in the South” from January 10 to February 28 on southernliving.com/tasty or via smartphone by downloading the complimentary Digimarc Discover app and scanning the corresponding image in the magazine. Each daily vote allows a consumer to be entered for a chance to win $1,500 toward a trip to the Tasty Town of his or her choice.
“Southern cooking has become one of the country's hottest culinary obsessions,” says Southern Living Editor-in-Chief Lindsay Bierman. “But there's a lot more to it than pork belly and grits. Every day, we're discovering hyperlocal microcosms of food culture across our region." Durham has exemplified that description for decades.
Southern Living will profile each of the towns and reveal the “Tastiest Town in the South” in the May issue, on newsstands April 19th and online.
Southern Living editors identified the top 10 “Tastiest Towns in the South” based on the following criteria:
- Food as a cultural identity: The unique food or ethnicity that defines a particular Southern region
- Growth of a culinary-minded community: The influence that the culinary industry has on the local community and tourism
- Diverse cuisine at a variety of price points: Accessibility to hearty, flavorful meals at any budget
- Local, sustainable food practices: The focus on sourcing products from local purveyors to geographically define where each meal comes from
- Hot chefs on the rise: The influence of the area’s culinary talent in the media and pop culture
- Abundance of buzz-worthy food events: The number of festivals in the area that celebrate all things food and drink
One vote per day is counted toward the finally tally. Learn more about Durham online.