Thursday, July 26, 2012

NCCU Chancellor Announces Retirement

NCCU Chancellor Charlie Nelms
The face of education in Durham will change come next month, according to an announcement from NCCU today. After serving North Carolina Central University for five years, Chancellor Charlie Nelms will retire from his position effective August 6, 2012.

Nelms is recognized nationally for his leadership and expertise in the areas of student retention and academic success. His accomplishments at NCCU are many, ranging from raising admission requirements and academic progression standards to establishing the University’s first Ph.D. program in more than 50 years to transitioning the institution from Division II to Division I in athletics.

In Nelms' own words, "Five years ago, I took the road that led me to North Carolina Central University and experienced one of the most fulfilling periods of my extensive career in higher education. As I complete my five-year commitment to my beloved NCCU and prepare to celebrate my 66th birthday, I have made a decision that will carry me into the next phase of my life."

The outgoing Eagle's complete retirement announcement is posted to North Carolina University's website. Learn more about Durham's other educational institutions here.

No comments:

Post a Comment