Wednesday, February 16, 2011

In Praise of Durham

In Praise of Durham
by Dian Wilson in the Viewpoint section of The Durham News

I write this with hope that we can remain a working model of an emotionally sustainable community.

I've lived in Durham since 1981. I came here because I sensed a level of tolerance I'd not seen anywhere, and with that I saw an opportunity for an examined life. I've stayed for that reason as well, except for a short time when I left to find work after the rest of "The Triangle" "boomed" and we got higher rent but no more jobs - a time when developers did really run roughshod over some of our most precious venues where we often met as a community.

When economic conditions improved and I could find work, I returned and bought my home in Northgate Park. I think our city has come along, for the most part, in a positive way. Our recent "boom" has been largely thoughtful and rewarding for a growing number of us. Much effort remains, yet so many wonderful collaborations are taking place all around.

I've often thought the majority of Durham is a self-selecting bunch. Many born here have chosen this place because they love the landscape and climate, our pace of life and the ease of access to services that seems to only exist in a smaller city. And so many among us are simply mindful and kind and that makes a big difference in the energy we encounter in our daily lives.

We have in Durham an opportunity to live among people with many different life-ways, realizing that lifelong learning best comes organically from true community. The well-off learn from the less fortunate, the "educated" from the self-taught and sometimes visa versa. Time, exposure and experience, in context, are our teachers.

In Durham, many of us have strived to bring each other along. I hope we can continue to consider what it means to contribute positively toward that which brought us here or keeps us here. There have been so many days when I've thought: The world is a frightful place that stresses me out, but Durham isn't part of it.

Thanks, neighbors, for taking the time to indulge this expression of hope, compassion and love for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment