As part of the ongoing National Bike Month, Durham commuters are encouraged to participate in Bike to Work Week which runs from May 14-18. Durham is a great place to explore bike commuting as the City of Durham was recently recognized as a Bicycle Friendly Business and Duke University was named a Bicycle Friendly University.
If you plan to attempt a new commute, be sure to plan your route. The Durham Bike & Hike Map proves a valuable resource for bike commuters and recreational bikers alike. The first side of the map details rural and county routes, while the back side details the most bike friendly in-town routes as well as important safety tips.
The following events will run throughout Bike Week:
• Monday, May 14: Cyclist’s Social, 5 to 7 pm, Bull McCabe’s, 427 W. Main Street, in the Five Points area of historic downtown Durham Cyclists enjoy free food and giveaways. Free bike checks provided by Seven Stars Cycles mechanics. Sponsored by Durham BPAC.
• Thursday, May 17: Mad Biker’s Breakfast, 7 to 9 am, Mad Hatter’s Café (corner of Main and Broad Streets). Food and drink courtesy of Mad Hatter’s. Free bike checks provided by Tip Top Cycles mechanics (http://tiptopcycles.com/). Sponsored by Durham BPAC.
• Friday, May 18: Bike Commute Coffee Club, meets every Friday at 7:45 am at Loaf Bakery, 111 W. Parrish Street.
Events in Research Triangle Park
• Tuesday May 15, 2012: Bike Month After-Hours Social, 5 to 7pm Serena, 5311 South Miami Blvd. Suite A. Cyclists enjoy free appetizers, drinks, and giveaways. Sponsored by SmartCommute@rtp
• Friday May 18, 2012 Bike Month Breakfast and Social, 7 to 9 am, RTP Headquarters (12 Davis Dr.) Cyclists enjoya free continental breakfast and giveaways. Sponsored by SmartCommute@rtp
• Sunday May 13: Seven Stars Cycles Bloody Bike & Brunch, 10AM, an approximately 20 mile self-supported, no-drop, group ride with Seven Stars Cycles followed by MotorKoKyu Bloody Brunch. Starts and ends at Seven Stars Cycles in Downtown Durham.
• Wednesday, May 16: Annual Ride of Silence. (Sponsored by M.S. Fits) This 5 mile police escorted ride will start and finish at the RTP Headquarters parking lot at 12 Davis Drive. Riders will gather beginning at 6pm and the ride leaves promptly at 7. Helmets required, lights encouraged.
• Sunday May 20: Bull City Tipping Point Ride. Low mileage social ride held monthly.