Durham, NC has the highest percentage of creative class jobs in the US, so it's only natural for the community to focus on that portion of the economy. Coming up next week is an opportunity for Durhamites to gain new entrepreneurial insights, hone business skills, connect with business resources and be inspired.
Durham Arts Council in partnership with the City of Durham Office of Economic & Workforce Development, the Durham Cultural Advisory Board, the Durham Small Business Advisory Council and the Durham Convention & Visitors Bureau will present a Creative Entrepreneur Expo May 16 from 8 am - 12:30 PM at the Durham Arts Council at 120 Morris Street.
The Expo will be an opportunity for learning, discussion and networking featuring keynote presentations, discussion of the Creative Vitality Index, business development workshops and a resource expo filled with invaluable resources to help participants launch and create their own business.
Tickets are $25 and includes breakfast, all presentations, workshops, handouts, business
resources, free parking, plus lunch discount at downtown partner restaurants. Tickets are available here.
8:00 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.
Registration and Continental Breakfast, Networking
8:45 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
The Importance of the Creative Economy and Creative Entrepreneurs in Durham, NC
* Welcome from Event Hosts - Sherry DeVries, DAC Executive Director and Renee Leverty, Chair, Cultural Advisory Board
* Greetings from Mayor William V. "Bill" Bell
* Creative Impact in Our State - NC Secretary of Cultural Resources Susan Klutz
* Creative Vitality Index ™ Announcement - the latest data for Durham!
* Keynote: Carl Nordgren, Author, Creative Entrepreneur "Guru", & Duke University Professor
with Christopher Gergen, Founder of Bull City Forward
* Introduction of Creative Business Resource Expo & Workshops - Thomas Leathers, City of Durham OEWD, Coordinator for Small Business Advisory Council
10:00 a.m. - 12:30 pm
Creative Business Resource Expo
Over 30 local business resources and companies to help you build your creative enterprise. Resource tables and experts located on main and 2nd floor of Durham Arts Council
10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
5 Outstanding Creative Business Workshops to Help You
Launch, Develop or Expand Your Creative Business
Attend 2 workshops of your choice
Lunch On Your Own and Continue the Networking
Discount coupon for participating downtown restaurants will be provided
For more information about Durham, click here.