The full value of each scholarship is estimated to be more than $220,000 over four years. The award is given to students from the two states who have a demonstrated potential for leadership and an affinity for community service, in addition to high academic achievement.
The scholarship also includes service and leadership development activities and two summer programs, one in the Carolinas and one abroad, during the recipients' undergraduate careers at Duke.
The scholarships were established by The Duke Endowment to honor Benjamin Newton Duke, one of the founders of Duke University.
This year's recipients are:
- John Victor Sena Alencar of Columbia, S.C., a graduate of Dreher High School in Columbia, and son of Ana Karina and Tom Alencar;
- Logan Nicole Beyer of New Bern, N.C., a graduate of Arendell Parrott Academy in Kinston, N.C., and daughter of Kristin Blevins Beyer and Jay Beyer;
- Margaret Louise Booz of Winston-Salem, N.C., a graduate of Mount Tabor High School in Winston-Salem, and daughter of Deborah and Mark Booz;
- Chuckwuma Nnanyelu Eruchalu of Charlotte, N.C., a graduate of Charlotte Latin School in Charlotte, and son of Adaora and Obinna Eruchalu;
- Rachel Anne Glenn of Wilmington, N.C., a graduate of Isaac Bear Early College High School in Wilmington, and daughter of Teresa Lambe and Jeffrey Glenn;
- Kristen Michele Larson of Goldsboro, N.C., a graduate of North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics in Durham, N.C., and daughter of Michele and Robert Larson;
- Bruna Meira de Vasconcelos Liborio of Concord, N.C., a graduate of Canon School in Concord, and daughter of Ariane Meira de Vasconcelos Liborio and Casimiro Jose de Sa Liborio;
- Tanner John Lockhead of Durham, N.C., a graduate of Charles E. Jordan Senior High School in Durham, and son of Julia and John Lockhead;
- Meghana Vakkalanka Rao of Florence, S.C., a graduate of Wilson High School in Florence, and daughter of Padmaja and Sreenivas Rao;
- Laura Katherine Winn of Stoneville, N.C., a graduate of John Motley Morehead High School in Eden, N.C., and the daughter of Janet and David Winn.
For more information about Durham, NC, visit online.